Customer Case Study
“We were impressed with MavenWire’s ability to learn what we do and how we do it, their depth of understanding of the product and the software - and how it connects, how they made it integrate with existing systems, and generally their ability to set-up shop and take over. ”
Creating an Efficient, Robust, and Scalable Logistics Solution for a Global Paper Manufacturer
MavenWire helps a large paper manufacturer increase visibility and control of its transportation network
A large North American paper manufacturer with clients across the globe partnered with MavenWire for a multi-phase OTM implementation to gain better visibility and control of all inbound and outbound logistics for its paper mill and seven box plants. Goal was to reduce costs, move tendering and carrier management capabilities in-house from a 3PL, and improve customer service levels.
- The company managed transportation using three separate ERP/OMS (Order Management System) systems, and lacked visibility and control by a single transportation team.
- Lack of visibility across all of its facilities compromised the company’s ability to fully manage its carrier base and control costs.
- The company had outsourced its tendering and carrier management to a 3PL that was discontinuing that service to its customers.
- Production schedules varied from plan to actual, constraining the company’s TMS opportunities to plan least-cost shipments far in advance of pickup.
- MavenWire collaborated with the company to support, enhance, and create optimal business processes, and then configured and implemented best-of-class Oracle Transportation Management v6.2.7 which included:
- Truck and Rail modes
- Dock Scheduling
- Integration with OptiVision (by Honeywell), Axiant (by SolarSoft), LIMS (by 3Log), Railinc CLMs, and EDI—all via IBM’s WebSphere middleware
- Oracle FTI
- Phase 1 Go-Live encompassed the company’s mill outbound shipments (TL & Rail):
- The OTM Go-Live was successful even though it was conducted during the company’s all-time peak shipping weeks.
- The company leveraged rate management by obtaining full visibility of outbound logistics for its paper mill operation. More efficient shipment planning and an expanded ability to identify and plan backhaul, round-trip and continuous move shipments is achieved.
- The company no longer needs 3PL tendering and carrier management logistics services, resulting in significant expense reductions.
- The Railinc integration allows OTM to send alerts if a rail shipment is delayed, empowering the company to improve customer service by taking action proactively.
- A significant increase in personnel productivity has been realized by reallocating dock scheduling to export customers.
- Phase 2 Go-Live encompassed the company’s mill inbound recovered and rail wood chip shipments:
- 150+ suppliers and third-party carriers participated
- Phase 3 Go-Live encompassed the company’s seven container (“box”) plants:
- TL and LTL (LTL rating using SMC3’s RateWare & CarrierConnect applications)
- FTI Configuration and Training
- MavenWire developed four additional Dashboards and two additional KPIs to enable strategic analysis and reporting at the management level.
- MavenWire is training a group of the company’s business analysts and IT personnel so they will be prepared to develop dashboards, KPIs and reports in the future.
Contact with MavenWireIf you would like to find out how MavenWire can help you optimise your logistics function, please fill in the form and one of our experts will be in touch.
* Required fields